Duxford's Flying Legends 2017; a good day to book a seat for some 'flightseeing'.
Note the nice line up in the background!
These Spitfires await their turn in the air show
Spitfire Mk.Ia, 'P7308 XR-D' (G-AIST) and (G-CGUK) 'R9612 / LC', both based here at Duxford Airfield
Spitfire F Mk.Ia, 'N3200 QV' (G-CFGJ), with
'Duxford'& 'IWM' markings.
N3200/QV is owned and operated by the Imperial War Museum, based at Duxford Airfield.
Ex No.19 Squadron, it sports the QV squadron codes it wore when it was shot down on 26May1940 while in support of the Operation Dynamo: the evacuation of Dunkirk with Sqn Ldr Geoffrey Stevenson, No.19 Sqn OC, at the controls.
N3200 was restored to airworthy condition by Historic Flying Limited, Duxford and its 1st post-restoration flight took place on 26March2014 from the airfield.
Donated to the Imperial War Museum Duxford on 09Jul2015 by American billionaire and conservationist Thomas Kaplan (a.k.a. Mark One Partnership LLC), accepted on behalf of the museum by its Patron, Prince William (Duke of Cambridge).
Curtiss H75-CI Hawk, No.82 (Armée de l'Air) on the left and Curtiss P-36C Hawk ‘PA-50’ (NX80FR) on the right
The following info is from the Flying Legends website, referring to 'PA-50':-
"Curtiss P-36C c/n 38-210 was built in 1939 and delivered to Selfridge Field, Michigan in May 1939.
She participated in the 1939 Cleveland Air Races in September 1939, with experimental camouflage.
She partici-pated in the War Games at Maxwell Field following those Air Races.
She was sent to Wright Patterson for testing in 1940 and then went on to serve with several different squadrons on the U.S. East Coast.
In 1942 she was sent to Chanute Technical Training Command, only for a few months, thereafter she was labelled obsolete and flown to Buckley field in Colorado.
She was put into a Tech School following her decommission and was later acquired by a Pratt & Whitney Tech instructor from Canada, where she resided until a Florida collector acquired it and passed her on to The Fighter Collection - more than a decade ago.
The restoration commenced some 4 years ago, under the leadership of Matt Nightingale at Chino,CA when sufficient original parts capable of overhaul were recovered to ensure that the aircraft could be completed to fly.
Steve Hinton carried out the shakedown flights and the FAA certified it.
P-36C made it first public appearances at the 2015 Planes of Fame Airshow."
Curtiss P-40C Warhawk (G-CIIO) - '39-160' / '160-10AB' (Vintage 1941!)
Goodyear Corsair FG-1D 'KD345/A' (G-FGID) in Royal Navy c/s. Manufactured in 1945.
Hawker Fury Mk.II, SR661 (G-CBEL)
Anglia Aircraft Restorations superb Hawker Fury II, SR661, G-CBEL displaying at the Shuttleworth 'Fly Navy' Airshow 2017.
This Sea Fury, c/n 37539, was produced by Hawker's as a Fury ISS - Iraqi Single Seat for the Iraqi Air Force, as part of contract number 53/1/012 for 60 aircraft, and was numbered 315 within this production batch.
The aircraft was brought to Orlando,FL from Iraq in 1979, by Ed Jurist and David C. Tallichet.
In 1989 the aircraft passed to Laws/Coleman Warbird Museum, Coleman,TX where it was rebuilt to airworthy condition, flying again in April 1991, reg'd as N36SF.
The Fury was then shipped to the UK in Sep.1991, passing into the ownership of John Bradshaw (at Wroughton)
During this time the aircraft flew in the markings of a Dutch Navy and later in Royal Australian Navy c/s marked as 361 and on the UK Civil Register as G-CBEL.
She was then exported to Australia, where she was registered as VH-SFW.
She was imported back into the UK by her new owners, Anglia Aircraft Restorations Ltd. and re-registered again
The aircraft has been refurbished and repainted, by Air Leasing Ltd, in the colours of one of Hawker's Sea Fury prototypes coded SR661, which was a modified Fury Mk.II with a tail hook fitted - but without the folding wings which were included on subsequent production Sea Fury's.
The aircraft is currently based here at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.
2017 air show footage by Stephen Keeler
Grumman F8F-2P Bearcat, 121714 / 201 - B (G-RUMM)
Spitfire 'City of Exeter' taxies to its stand
Supermarine LF Mk.Vb Spitfire, EP120 (G-LFVB) of The Fighter Collection.
This Mk.V Spitfire is one of the most credited historic aircraft left anywhere in the world, with an impressive SEVEN confirmed kills!
EP120 was built at the Castle Bromwich factory where she was probably test flown by the legend that was Alex Henshaw.
She was taken on charge by the RAF in May 1942 with No.45 MU at Kinloss in Scotland. She was assigned to No.501 Sqn the following month and scored 6 of her confirmed kills with Sqdn. Ldr. Geoffrey Northcott at the helm.
A ground collision saw her returned to Castle Bromwich for repair, following which she was allocated to No.19 Sqdn in Cornwall. In April 1944 she was taken on charge with No.402 Sqn ‘City of Winnipeg’ RCAF, coded AE-A, which are the colours she wears today.
In June 1944 EP120 went to No.33 MU at Lyneham, before moving onto No.53 OTU at Kirton in Lindsey.
Following a period as a ground instructional airframe, EP120 served as gate guard at a number of RAF stations until 1967, when she was used as a static aircraft in the ‘Battle of Britain’ movie.
Following her first silver screen experience she was back guarding the gate, at RAF Wattisham this time, until 1989 when she was transported to St. Athan (along with all the rest of the gate guard Spitfires).
EP120 remained in storage at St. Athan until she joined The Fighter Collection fleet in 1993.
Following a full restoration, EP120 returned to the skies in September 1995 and has been a popular performer with both the crowds and pilots ever since.
Supermarine Seafire LF.IIIc, ‘PP972 - 11-5 - N’ (G-BUAR)
The number of warbirds restored in recent years is astounding!
Supermarine Spitfire, 'MH434 / B-ZD'
'The most famous military aircraft of all time, and perhaps the most famous of all Spitfires still flying today, MH434 was built in 1943 at Vickers, Castle Bromwich. This Spitfire is remarkably original, having never been subject to a re-build!
For its inaugural flight at the beginning of August 1943, MH434 was air tested by the legendary Alex Henshaw - a record breaking pilot from pre-war days (also known for Alex Henshaw's book "Sigh for a Merlin") and Chief Test Pilot for Supermarine at Castle Bromwich.'
For its wartime visit see www.mh434.com
November 1967 saw MH434 join the motion picture airforce of Spitfire Productions Ltd.
Set up by Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie for the film 'Battle of Britain'. At the end of the movie in 1968 MH434 was sold again.
The new owner, Sir Adrian Swire, Chairman of Cathay Pacific Airways, had the Spitfire painted in 1944 camouflage colour scheme with his initials AC-S, as squadron codes. There were several film and television appearances during this period, including 'A Bridge Too Far.'
In April 1983 MH434 was sold at auction to its most illustrious owner, Ray Hanna (Nalfire Aviation Ltd) and became one of OFMC's founding aircraft.
The first major rebuild took place in the winter of 1994-95.
MH434 has become a regular movie co-star and airshow performer and when not in make up for a role is flown in the authentic 222 Sqaudron, coded ZD-B.'
Supermarine Spitfire BM597 / JH-C
The air was vibrant with piston-engined warbirds starting up and Spitfires coming and going, sounding
their wonderful Rolls-Royce 'Merlin' engines. These engines are a British liquid-cooled V-12 piston aero engine of
27-litres (1,650 cu in) capacity. Rolls-Royce designed the engine and first ran it in 1933, as a private venture.
Initially known as the PV-12, it was later called 'Merlin' following the company convention of naming its piston
aero engines after birds of prey.
Spitfire T.9 PV202 5R-H 'Bremont; quite a unique 'Spit': a two-seater.
Its history has been detailed in full on my page ENGLAND 2017 [Search by: Ctrl+F, type: Bremont]
Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe, MV293 (G-SPIT).
Owned by The Fighter Collection at Duxford and wears spurious markings MV268 / JE-J, flown by Wing Commander Johnnie Johnson OC 127 Wing, Germany May 1945.
It flew again on 11Aug2014 following refurbishment. Further down this page more details on the Mk.XIV and JE-J.
Spitfire Mk.XIV versus Me 109 G/K : A Performance Comparison
P-40F Warhawk, 'XI-7 / Lee's Hope'
P-40 'XI-7 / Lee's Hope'
The Fighter Collection's Merlin-engined P-40F is one of only two left airworthy anywhere in the world!
Manufactured at the Curtiss facility in Buffalo,NY in the autumn of 1942 and was allocated BuNo. 41-19841.
Unfortunately her service career remains a mystery, but the only P-40Fs to see combat in the Pacific Theatre were flown by the 44th and the 68th Fighter Squadrons, of the 347th Fighter Group in the Solomon Islands, from Nov.1942 to Oct.1943.
TFC's Warhawk ended her wartime career when she was condemned by the USAAF in Nov.1943 and dumped on the largest of Vanautu's islands, Espiritu Santo.
She was eventually recovered from the island in the 1970's and acquired by The Fighter Collection some years later and stored in Australia, until the restoration commenced in Wangaratta, Victoria. The in-depth restoration was completed in early 2011 and this P-40F made her 1st flight for 68 years in April of that year!
Due to the lack of information on her service history, it wears the stunning scheme of Lee's Hope
from the 85th Fighter Squadron, 79th Fighter Group, which was flown by Lt. Robert J. Duffield from Capodichino airfield, in south of Italy in early 1944.
P-51B 'Berlin Express'
The 'Berlin Express' P-51B Mustang achieved legendary status in an epic World War II dogfight in Paris in 1944, piloted by American Bill Overstreet, who flew the aircraft under the Eiffel Tower in hot pursuit of a German fighter. Overstreet eventually downed the German Messerschmitt Bf 109G and eluded heavy enemy fire while escaping the battle with his P-51B Mustang “Berlin Express” intact.
P-51 '324823 / Berlin Express'
From above source also: "Civilian pilot Dan Friedkin, who owns 'Berlin Express' and is one of only nine civilian Heritage Flight pilots qualified to fly in formation with U.S. Air Force single-ship demonstration teams, will fly the historic aircraft and perform in the Flying Legends Airshow on the right wing alongside his longtime Horsemen Flight Teammates Steve Hinton and Ed Shipley on July 8 and 9."
Curtiss H75-CI No.82 French Air Force, G-CCVH. It has flown in The Battle of France.
Curtiss P-36C Hawk, ‘PA-50’ (NX80FR)
The Fighter Collection's new Hawk in 27th Pursuit Squadron markings sure looks a treat! One of only 2 airworthy Curtiss 75 variants in the world, both owned by TFC and both displayed together here at Flying Legends 2017.
It had arrived here at Duxford in a crate, early july 2015, and was restored in time to join the 2015 event.
Curtiss P-40C Warhawk (G-CIIO) - '39-160' (Manufactured 1941)
The P-40C (equipped with an Allison V1710 engine) is the follow up to the Curtiss Hawk P-36 / H75
Grumman FM-2 Wildcat, 'JV579/F - That Old Thing' (G-RUMW)
From TFC's website:
"Our Wildcat was built by the General Motors Corporation (Eastern Aircraft Division) at Trenton,NJ for the US Navy in 1945, and accepted by the US Navy on the 24Jul1945.
It was immediately placed into storage at Tillamook Naval Air Station,OR. The aircraft was subsequently struck off US Navy charge on the 28Feb46.
The aircraft went through a series of private owners between 1946 and 1975, and in 1975 it was placed on display at the Chennault Air Museum,CA.
This is where it stayed until 1992, when it was moved to Chino for overhaul to airworthy condition by Fighter Rebuilders. The first post restoration flight took place in January 1993.
The aircraft was acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1993 and shipped to Duxford in April of the same year.
It currently wears the scheme of a Fleet Air Arm Wildcat on board HMS Tracker in 1944."
Engine: Wright Aeronautical Corp R1820-56WA
Propellor: Curtiss Electric C-53250
A friendly wave!
Goodyear Corsair FG-1D 'KD345/A' (G-FGID) in Royal Navy c/s. Manufactured in 1945.
More details on my page England 2017
Quite possibly the only P-51 Mustang in RAF colours!
North American P-51D Mustang GA-S
Operator: Norwegian Spitfire Foundation
Year of Manufacture: 1944
Powered by: Rolls Royce Merlin
Colour Scheme: KH774 'GA-S' No.112 Squadron (Shark mouth) 44-11602
This aircraft was manufactured in 1944 for the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) and registered with military serial number 44-73877. She did not see combat action during WWII.
During 1951 she was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force, where she served until 1958.
From 1958 to 1980 the aeroplane was flown by various private owners.
After an extensive rebuild from 1980 to 1985 she was registered N167F and bore the 'Old Crow' colour scheme of Col. Clarence Anderson, who's signature remains on the left undercarriage door panel !
In 2012 she was purchased by a UK owner and delivered to the UK in August that year. Since then the aeroplane has been overhauled and refitted, she is now in the colour scheme of Lt. Blanchford, RAF 112 Squadron which operated from Italy in 1945 on ground attack missions over the Balkans and along the Adriatic coast.
Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B, 'Z7015 / 7-L Royal Navy' of The Shuttleworth Collection.
Full details on my ENGLAND
Hawker Hurricane XII, 'P3700 RF-E (RAF)'
Hawker Hurricane XII 'Z5140' (G-HURI)
Aircraft Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIa
Operator: Historic Aircraft Collection Ltd
owered by: RR Packard built Merlin 29. 1,460hp
Colour Scheme: Mk1 P3700, coded RF-E. No. 303 (Polish) Sqdn.
Hurricane Mk.XIIa 5711 (G-HURI) was rebuilt in the 1980's from the best original Hurricane parts sourced, in the previous 10 years, from all over Canada.
It was given the identity of aircraft CCF c/n 72036 as that aircraft was the source of the airframe used in the rebuild. RCAF 5711 had been built in 1942 by the Canadian Car & Foundry as part of their 6th production batch and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1943.
It made its first post-restoration flight in 1989, painted in RAF markings as 'Z3781', coded XR-T of No.71 Eagle Squadron.
The Historic Aircraft Collection (HAC) acquired the Hurricane in 2002 and after undergoing an 18 month extensive programme of repairs and maintenance, the Hurricane reappeared in an entirely new paint scheme for 2004: 'Z5140' coded HA-C of No.126 Sqdn - the paint scheme that was worn by a Gloster-built Hurricane IIB, which flew with No.126 Squadron during the siege of Malta.
In August 2012 she flew to Moscow to display in their centenary airshow.
For the 75th anniversary in 2015 of the Battle of Britain, G-HURI was repainted in the RAF markings as 'P3700', a Hurricane Mk1, coded RF-E of No.303 (Polish) Sqdn.
P3700 was abandoned by Sgt. Kazimierz Wunsche over Poynings, Kent on 09Sep1940 after sustaining damage from a Bf 109 during combat over Beachy Head.
Hawker Sea Hurricane, 'R4118 UP-W', of the The Shuttleworth Collection
Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, 'P-SW P3717', is a new resident at The Shuttleworth Collection
The 09May2017 saw the much-rumoured arrival of a new resident at The Shuttleworth Collection in the shape of Battle of Britain veteran Hawker Hurricane P3717.
This bringing the strength of resident airworthy Hurricanes at the Old Warden Airfield to 3, a number which we believe is not equalled anywhere else in the world! That day also saw final confirmation that the aircraft has not been sold to an overseas buyer and that she will remain in the UK.
P3717 is privately owned and has been placed with the collection to serve as a living reminder of the sacrifice and valour of the young men who flew the type during the second World War.
P3717 joins the much treasured R4118 and Hawker Sea Hurricane and will be seen flying at the upcoming Collection air show's this season.
P3717 was built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd as one of 544 Hurricanes built as part of the 3rd production batch. It was taken on charge by the Royal Air Force in June 1940 and was delivered to newly formed No.253 Squadron at Kirtön-in-Lindsey on 13Jul1940. Three days later on the 16th of July, a Polish Pilot Officer, W. Samolinski would report to the Squadron, He would be flying P3717, when, less than 7 weeks later, the aircraft was heavily damaged in combat with Messerschmitt Bf110's
By the end of July, the Battle of Britain was in full swing and in anticipation of the inevitable requirement, No.253 Sqdn were brought up to operational status, moving from Kirton to Turnhouse on July 21st, then to Prestwick on August 23rd and finally into the thick of things on August 29th when the squadron arrived at RAF Kenley - one of the key 11 Group sector fighter stations.
P3717 was being flown by P/O Samolinski, when on the 30th August it was one of 13 aircraft participating in a squadron scramble at 10.50am and ordered to patrol over Maidstone, ready to face any threat to its Kenley base.
When no attack on Kenley materialised, No.253 Sqdn were vectored towards Brighton.
It seems that a dogfight between elements of No.253 and aircraft of Albert Kesselring's Luftflotte 2 broke out over Redhill in Surrey. P3717, flown by Samolinski was involved in this and Samolinski claimed and was officially credited for the destruction of a Bf110 in this action.
P3717 made it back to Kenley, but not before one of the enemy aircraft had damaged it and to such an extent that it had to be returned to the manufacturers for significant repairs; these repairs took time and once complete P3717 was reissued to No.257 Squadron, to see further service.
It was later returned for major works a second time, and modified to Mk.2 standard, after which it was then sent to Russia (!) from where it was recovered in the late 1990's.
The restoration to flying condition has taken over 10 years to accomplish and was only completed in March of 2017! www.shuttleworth.org/news/new-resident-hurricane-at-shuttleworth/
Hawker Hurricane, 'P2902 R-DX' (G-ROBT)
This aircraft, Hurricane Mk.I, serial P2902, was built by Gloster Aircraft during 1939-1940, under contract number 962371/38/C.23a.
It first flew on or around 20Oct1939.
By May 1940, it was operational with No.245 Fighter Squadron, based at Drem on the East Coast of Scotland and tasked with shipping protection patrols.
Carrying the code DX and the individual code R for Robert, the aircraft was crash landed on a beach in Dunkirk in 1940, after engaging two Messerschmitt 109s. (This reminds of a Spitfire scene in the film 'Dunkirk'!).
There it remained until recovered by French enthusiasts in 1988.
It was obtained some time later by warbird operator Rick Roberts, who employed the services of several restorers before finally engaging Hawker Restorations.
We see here its splendid result!