at Amsterdam Int'l Airport - Schiphol
Page - 3 -
Photo © R.Leeuw
CL-44D-4 N122AE (c/n 18) Aeron Int'l Airlines, somewhere between 1985-1988.
The Canadair CL-44 was an impressive aircraft and only 39 were built; very few survive.
Check my links page for a link to www.cl44.com for the history on this type.
A brief history on this particular aircraft: first flown 06Feb62 as N449T, bought by Flying Tiger Line in 1962 and changed owners in 1969: to Trans Meridian London as G-AXAA. This company changed its name to Trans Meridian Air Cargo a year later; the name was later revised to Transmeridian and in 1979 to British Cargo Airlines, but c/n 18 was still registered as G-AXAA.
In 1980 G-AXAA was stored and a year later bought by Air Express Int'l and reregistered as N122AE. They put a name on her: "Dixie".
This ownership changed to CFG Aircraft II Inc., a leasing company, in 1985. The operator remained the same but changed its name in Aeron Int'l Airlines that same year. In 1988 N122AE was stored at Dallas-Love Field,TX.
A new owner appeared on the scene in 1989: Blue Bell Aviation (Blue Bell Inc is better known as Wrangler Jeans). The aircraft was ferried to Greensboro,NC but was never put in operation. At some point the aircraft was donated to the Greensboro Fire Dept., which did little good for her secondhand market value... It was scrapped in 1999.
Duane Delk flew this plane and he wrote me about his career
Sadly, Duane passed away on 11Jan2010.
London City Airways started flights to Amsterdam with "Dash Sevens" from the London-Docklands airport.
G-BOAW is a DeHavilland DHC-7-110 Dash 7 with 4 PWC PT6A-50 turboprops and it will seat 50 passengers. In 1999 it was listed as operating for Berjaya Air as 9M-TAK from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The idea to operate a STOL airport in London's Docklands was first conceived in the early 80's, and after a trial demonstration at Heron Quay by a Brymon Dash 7 aircraft in 1982.
London City Aws was formed by British Midland and it was at that time called Eurocity Express. Flight operations started in summer 1987 with 2 Dash 7 aircraft. Early in 1988 Eurocity Express placed orders with De Havilland Canada for 3 Brand New Dash 7 aircraft. At the same time the airline changed its name to London City Airways to reflect the City Airport connections. When all of the deliveries had been completed, the fleet consisted of 5 Dash 7. This was soon reduced to 4. After the successful BAe146 trials in 1988, a transition was expected to runway extension and jet transport. This was cut short in early 1990 with redundancy and closure of the airline.
Jersey European started operating into Amsterdam late in the 1980s and its fleet consisted of Short Brothers 360 (G-OBLK, above), Twin Otters, Fokker F.27s and Embraer Bandeirantes.
G-OBLK is a SD 360-200 (SD3-60 Variant 100) with c/n SH3712 and was formerly registered as G-BNDI. It seats 36 passengers and is powered by 2 Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-65AR turboprops, giving it a 337 km/h (209 mph) cruising speed and a range of 1178 kms (730 mls).
The Short 360 was develloped from the military "Skyvan" and the larger 330 civil variant (30 seats).
The Short brothers founded Britain's first aircraft factory. In 1909 they were building their first six Short-Wright biplanes under license. The company later changed it's name to Short Brothers and Harland. When in 1909 Orville and Wilbur Wright contracted the Short brothers to build 6 Wright Flyers,it was the world's first production contract ! In 1943 the English Government acquired the company and renamed it Short Brothers & Harland Ltd. Famous aircraft were produced, such as the Short Sunderland flying boat (first flight 16Oct37) and the Short Belfast (f/f 05Jan64). In 1989 the English Government sold its share to Bombardier of Canada.
In 1988 Netherlines was still trying to survive the competition of KLM, seen here with NLM's Fokker F.27s. Netherlines flew with BAe Jetstreams, which were replaced by 1990 by Saab SF340s.
Netherlines was founded in 1984 with 4 BAe 3108 Jetstreams 31s: PH-KJA (c/n 645), PH-KJB (648), PH-KJC (649) and PH-KJD (655).
The Jetstream was powered by 2 Garrett TPE331 turboprops which offered a cruising speed of 455 kmh (282 mph) and a range 1380 mls, whilst seating 19 passengers in a pressurized cabin.
In 1990 Netherlines was merged with NLM and in 1992 KLM Cityhopper (KLC) was created out of all this. A fleet of more than 20 new Fokker 50s and Saab 340Bs was formed. The KLC flew at that time 3 types of aircraft: Saab 340B (33 seats), Fokker 50 (50 seats) and Fokker F-28 (80 seats).
The legendary Fokker F.27 "Friendship" with 2 Rolls Royce Dart 532-7R engines (NLM) offered 427 kmh (265 mph) in cruising speed and a range of 1450 mls (seating 44).
The Saab-Fairchild 340 with 2 General Electric CT7-9B turboprops was good for a cruising speed of a wopping 484 kmh (300 mph) and a range of 1807 kms (1120 mls), seating 39. Netherlines used a seating of 33 in a two-class configuration.
In the Netherlands there was a lot do about Fokker Aircraft Industries: Holland was too small to sustain a viable aircraft factory... But the new Fokker 50 (above) and Fokker 100 models gave new hope. .
F.50 PH-OSI (cn 10688), demonstrator for Fokker and first flown in April 1986.
In Nov58 Fokker delivered its first turboprop aircraft after the War: the Fokker F.27 Friendship (to Aer Lingus). The F.27 became the world's best selling turboprop aircraft till today. In 1983 Fokker simultaneously launched the successors of the F27 and the F28: the Fokker 50 and the Fokker 100.
The Fokker 50 made its first flight in December 1985. Later, the Fokker 60 utility was launched as a stretched military variant of the Fokker 50 for the Netherlands Air Force.
The worldwide airline crisis of the 1990s, fierce competition and a unstable dollar put an end to Fokker in March 1996.
Read more on the demise of Fokker Aircraft Industries.
The oldest flying F.27 still around is PH-FHF, ex/ VH-NLS
Fokker F.50 U-05 of the Royal Netherlands Air Force is based at Eindhoven, but is an occasional visitor to Amsterdam-Schiphol. Photo 2002.
In 1996 the Royal Dutch Air Force introduced 2 Fokker 50s for passenger transport. They carry tailnumbers U-05 and U-6 and operate with 334 Sqdn.
1985 saw a gathering of several DC-3s at Schiphol, at the ramp of the Dutch Dakota Association. The DDA had organized a celebration of the Douglas DC-3's 50th anniversary and while the airshow was at Eindhoven, the DC-3s/C-47s were parked at Schiphol.
The DC-3 (or C-47) is of course the most successful piston-engine transport in history, more than 10,000 served in a variety of roles during World War II. Remarkably, Douglas DC-3s still see service around the globe, not only with "nostalgic aviation societies" such as the DDA, but still in commercial use !
I have a variety of DC-3 pages
Douglas produced the Douglas Sleeper Transport, or DST, which evolved into the 21-seater DC-3, in 1935. This aircraft was powered by two Wright Cyclone engines, could carry 21 or more passengers, at over 150 mph in safety and comfort. The Dakota, as this aircraft was later known, was the first commercial transport aircraft capable of making a profit from carrying passengers only. Most aeroplanes in those days were being subsidised by mail and freight contracts, whilst air travel was only for the daring and the rich. The DC-3 went to war as the C-47 ("Skytrain") powered by two Pratt and Whitney radial engines and with an enlarged cargo door and strengthened fuselage. The war effort resulted in vast numbers of the C-47 to be built, but it was the design that made it "ever-lasting"...
Hopefully there will be many more anniversaries to follow !
Super Guppy F-BPPA (c/n 0002) during early 1980s
The Super Guppy was used by Airbus Industries to transport large segments of airplanes. Whilst many countries in Europe participate in Airbus, there is a constant flow of parts and a need for such "strange" airplanes. Presently (2002) this aircraft is preserved in Toulouse, headquarters of Airbus Industries.
The Boeing 377SG Super Guppy flew for the first time on 31 August 1965. Without the Super Guppy, the only other way to get NASA's Apollo rocket stages from California to Florida was on a slow boat through the Panama Canal. But once the Apollo and Skylab programs were terminated, Aero Spacelines had to look for commercial applications for the Guppy. After the company got into financial trouble, some Super Guppies were sold to Airbus Industries.
NATO Excercise "Autumn Forge 1985" saw several military visitors, including this Luftwaffe Transall 51+03
Germany and France started in 1959 the first multinational aircraft program and it produced the C-160 Transall. It replaced the Noratlas in the military transport role. Nord-Aviation, HFB and VFW united in the "Transport Alliance" and the prototype first flew in Feb63, while deliveries to the air forces of both France and Germany started in 1967. It could carry 88 paratroopers (or 93 soldiers) or 16tons of cargo over a range of 1182 kms (733 mls). It was powered by 2 Rolls-Royce Tyne RTy-20 Mk.22 turboprops; while it looks much like the Lockheed C-130 Hercules, the latter is powered by 4 engines.
Another military visitor at Amsterdam Int'l Airport: Nord 262 "71" (early 1980s).
The Nord 262 "Frégate" was first flown in 1962; shortly after which Nord was taken over by Aérospatiale, but the N262 remained in production till 1976. In spite of the long production time, only 110 were built, of which 33 were designated "Frégate" with the French military air force. It was powered by 2 Turboméca Bastan VIIA turboprops which gave it a topspeed of 418 kms (290 mph) and a range of 1825 kms (1130 mls), though not on topspeed of course.
Vickers Viscount 724 G-BDRC (c/n 52) od Dan-AIr London is seen here taxiing out, sometime in 1978. Must be one of the first photos I took of a civil aircraft, at that time I was more fascinated by military aircraft but had started a job at Amsterdam's Schiphol the year before.
Danair has been long gone, of course; a brief description of its history can be found in my gallery of Airlines Remembered: DAN-Air
A DAN-Air Hawker-Siddeley 748 is parked on the Schiphol's A-ramp and dwarfed by a Malaysian DC-10. Both the names DAN-Air London as well as Hawker Siddeley are gone, but so is the "alfa-ramp" at Schiphol: they built a new terminal extention over a large part of it. Schiphol's gates were renamed in 1993 as the Dutch -E- sound is similar to the English -A- sound and this caused confusion with the A- and E-gates; thus gates on the terminals started with C ("Charlie"). The B ("Bravo") positions indicated a parking on the B-ramp, where passengers were transferred by busses from the terminal.
The BAe 748 was produced in 1958 as the Avro 748. When several British aviation companies merged to form the Hawker Siddeley group in 1959, it became the Hawker Siddeley 748. The prototype first flew on 24Jun60 and deliveries started the next year.
By the merger of British Aircraft Corporation, Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Hawker Siddeley Dynamics and Scottish Aviation in 1977, British Aerospace (BAe) was formed as a nationalized corporation.
This one was certainly worthy of the trouble: HS.748-238 Srs 2A G-AVXJ (c/n 1624/137) of the English CAA, Calibration Unit. Taken in May 1991. What purpose could there have been, visiting Amsterdam Int'l ?
This aircraft was seen stored in Exeter (UK) in Nov02. Emerald Airways apparently bought it in 1998, after G-AVXJ had previously been used by "Flight Precision" and was operating a fleet of 16 HS.748s in 1999. Emerald Airways had bought the 2 former Flight Precision calibration aircraft (G-AVXI being the other) they were found not to be suitable for freighter conversion. HS748 G-AVXJ was to be broken up for spares at Southend, but obviously still survives.
The United Kingdom flight inspection unit was set up at Croydon just after the war. The fleet consisted of 8 Avro Ansons, 2 Tiger Moths, 1 Percival Proctor and 1 Miles Gemini. In the early 1950s more aircraft were purchased. The unit was renamed the "Civil Aviation Flying Unit" (CAFU). DH Doves replaced and the Ansons and various other types were added. Two HS.748s were bought in 1969 and in the early 1970's all flight inspection work was taken over by the HS 748s, a third one was added. During the 1980s the organisation slowly changed and in 1988 NATS took responsibility for all flight inspection duties and re-named the unit the Flight Calibration Unit (FCU), with only the 2 HS 748s being retained. In November 1991, a private company was approved to make flight inspections in the UK, operating in competition with NATS FCU. In April 1992, NATS FCU was usually known as the CAA Flight Inspection Service (FIS). In October 1996, the CAA FIS was sold to private industry.
Civil Aircraft", Robert Jackson (Barnes & Noble Books,NY; 2001)
Various issues of JP Airline Fleets
"Vliegtuigen van de Wereld" encyclopedia
Various websites, such as:
History of Fokker Aircraft Industries, follow links 'About us' and 'History'
Propellor Transports at Amsterdam Int'l Airport
, Page 2