A-26B serial 43-7140 was built in 1943 it was the 328th A26B built at the Douglas plant in Long Beach,CA.
It was delivered to the USAAF on 08Dec1944 and given the USAAF serial number of 41-39427.
On 13Mar1950, the aircraft was stricken from the USAF inventory and sold on the civilian market.
The aircraft spent 2 years in storage until Alex Oser, a scrap dealer bought it and 13 other A26's in Jan1952. On 19Mar52, the aircraft was sold to Texas Railway Equipment Co. of Houston; this aircraft being one of 9 sold to this company. Later, 7 of the aircraft ended up going to the French Air Force.
The aircraft went through major modifications in Apr53, when the aircraft was completely disassembled and all systems inspected and repaired or overhauled. It was at this time the aircraft was converted to an executive transport with many luxuries and modifications being done to the aircraft by Grand Central Aircraft Co. of Glendale,CA.
Barnwell Drilling Company of Shreveport, LA bought the A-26 on 30Dec61 and made further modifications to enhance the executive transport role.
During this time period, 1952-1967, the A-26 received best of care and maintenance from Barnwell and Texas Railway Equip Co. It is said that former Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson had flown on the aircraft as well as Jack Kennedy.
John Barnwell traded the A-26 on 07Feb67 for a larger Corvair 240 with Omni Investments. The registration
N-numbers were also swapped in the trade and Invader N75Y became Invader N240P.
Flight Test Research, Inc. of Long Beach,CA purchased the aircraft on 19Apr67 for $15,000.00 and the aircraft went home to where it was built 25 years earlier.
Ownership history and uses are a little sketchy from 1972 to 1977. But they must have been interesting since the aircraft was seized from drug-runners by the Sheriff's Dept in Amarillo on 10Jan77!
This occured after a pilot had landed the aircraft on one engine and walked away from the airplane. This clearly made the authoritie suspicious.
A testament to this story is that at a particular air show a few years ago, two gentlemen in dark sunglasses seemed rather intrigued by the airplane; finally one of the gentlemen approached a crew member and asked what color the aircraft had been before Ranger Wing acquired it. When told it was white with grey trim he exclaimed:
"My God it's the "Grey Ghost! We chased that sucker up and down the Gulf Coast! Never could catch him. He'd drop down on the deck and throttle the engines up and leave us standing there!"
The two gentlemen were DEA agents...
The A-26 was purchased by the Commemorative Air Force on 21Dec77 from the Amarillo Sheriff's Dept.
After numerous weekend trips to Amarillo, to prepare her for the flight to her new home, the A-26 was ferried to Waco on 11Sep80. Quite a feat since the Ranger Squadron had only held its first meeting as a CAF unit on 23Jun80 and only had 15 very dedicated members when assigned the A-26 by the Commemorative Air Force!
From:www.a26invader.com/n240p.html which also includes images to illustrate the above.