DHC-2 N9766Z and DHC-3T N50KA waiting for customers to arrive.
deHavilland DHC-3T N50KA (c/n 221) in special livery.
History of c/n 221 from Karl E. Hayes' monograph
on the deHavilland Otter (abbreviated by the Webmaster
Otter 221 was delivered to the Indian Air Force on 04Feb1958 with serial IM-1720. The Indian Air Force continued to fly the Otter until the type was formally withdrawn from the inventory on 31Mar91 and the surviving aircraft were offered for sale. IM-
1720 had been noted serving with 41 Squadron at Palam during the years 1976 to 1980. Other
details of its Air Force service are unknown, but it had accumulated 6,174 hours total time when
withdrawn from service.
The successful bidders for the Indian Otters were Mike Hackman Aircraft Sales/La Ronge Aviation, who travelled to India to prepare the Otters to be shipped back to Canada. IM-1720 was one of 8 Otters shipped from Calcutta to Vancouver and then overland to Saskatoon, arriving on 30Apr94.
This Otter and two more of the former Indian aircraft, numbers 37 and 221, were sold to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc of Seattle and were trucked from Saskatoon to Kenmore's base at Kenmore on the northern end of Lake Washington in Seattle.
Here they were rebuilt by Kenmore Air Harbor and converted to turbine power with the installation of PT-6 engines. Otter c/n 221 was registered to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc in May 1995 as N50KA and, painted in Kenmore's smart yellow and white trim, joined the company's fleet.
As well as flying on Kenmore's scheduled commuter and charter network around the Seattle area and up to Vancouver Island, N50KA has also ventured much further afield.
In Nov. '98 N50KA was chartered by Air Serv International, to fly humanitarian flights on behalf of Mission
Aviation Fellowship in Honduras, which had just been devastated by 'Hurricane Mitch'. For this mission, the Otter was flown by Rich Herman, who took time out from his job of flying piston Otters for Aeronautical Services around the San Juan islands off the Washington coast.
N50KA's first flight was the short hop from its Kenmore base to Seattle's Renton Airport, landing on the lake. Here its floats were taken off and it was put on wheels.
It then set off for Redlands, California (where Air Serv were based) and continued to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras, where the Otter was to be based. The Otter uplifted a ton of foodstuffs per trip (rice, beans,
etc) and medicines and flew into dirt strips at small villages such as Aguacate, Ahaus, Moc, Koko, Puerto Lempira, Wampu and El Carbon, along the 'Mosquito Coast' of Hunduras. N50KA flew 117 hours on this mission, not including the ferry flights, flew 16,812 miles and delivered 65,000 pounds of relief supplies. It then re-traced its steps and re-entered service with Kenmore Air Harbor in February 1999.
For the winter of 2000/2001, N50KA together with sister ship N87KA (c/n 11) were chartered to Island
Seaplanes of Nassau in the Bahamas. The two Otters were put on EDO amphibious floats and departed Kenmore in November 2000 for a 6 month lease, during which they were flown by Kenmore pilots.
The two Otters returned to Seattle in May 2001 and resumed service with Kenmore Air Harbor.
For 2005, 2006 and 2007 this Otter was operated in a logo colour scheme of the K5 Radio Station in Seattle.
Not sure when the 'Evening' livery was applied (though I'd seen it in the same livery 08Aug13 in Victoria,BC). [EMAIL
DHC-2 Beaver N9766Z is c/n 504 and from DHC-2.com
I have the following history:
L-20 flew as 52-6121 with the USAF after having been delivered 08Jun1953.
It was built as L-20A and was re-designated U-6A in 1962.
Civilian career started as N13454 for Webber Airlines Inc. of Ketchikan,AK. Possibly registered as such in April 1971.
Then as N9766Z reg'd Jul1979 for South East Alaska Airlines Inc. but its base remained in Ketchikan,AK.
Rereg'd on 20May1985, still N9766Z, for Kenmore Air Harbor Inc.
04Oct1999 at Winslow,WA disaster struck: flying a BBC filmcrew low and slow it stalled and struck trees. It resulted in substantial damage to aircraft, fortunately of the 5 occupants only one was injured.
N9766Z was rebuilt at Kenmore, with extra windows and other modifications.
Hamilton Metalplane NC879H / 27 (c/n 65) in the livery of Northwest Airways. What a beauty!
NC879H is the only remaining airworthy Hamilton H47. Designed by James McDonnell (later founder of McDonnell Aircraft) in 1927, the H47 and similar H45 were the first American all-metal airliners certified for commercial flight. Hamilton became a division of Boeing in 1926 and part of the United Aircraft and Transport Corporation.
Northwest Airways was the primary user of the H47, though most people might know it better by its post-1934 name, Northwest Airlines.
This information was copied from a 2013 image on Airliners.net
, which shows it moving under own power at Paine Field!
I found the following information on The Web when it was offered for sale (could not find a date to this):
1929 Hamilton Metalplane
NC879H was built in 1929 at the Hamilton Metalplane Division of Boeing Aircraft Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Although originally licensed as NC875H, its number was changed to NC879H by Jack Lysdale so that he could restore it using the Northwest Airways logo and number 27 thereby making it more authentic. This H-47 model, powered by a Pratt & Whitney Hornet engine, was sold originally to the Ontario Provincial Air Service in 1930 with Canadian license CF-OAJ. It was used primarily as a float plane.
After going through several owners, it was eventually stored at Deering, Alaska. Its logbook showed it had a total time then of 5183 hours.
In 1951 Capt. Harry McKee of Northwest Airlines learned of the Hamilton which had been pretty much abandoned since its last flight in July 1947.
McKee obtained the Hamilton from Don Cross of Deering, and, with the assistance of fellow Northwest Airlines employees and the Airline itself, it was brought to the Mpls/St. Paul International airport. Utilizing volunteer help from present and past employees, work was begun to make the Hamilton into a static display. The project moved slowly, and finally, due to lack of progress and increasing expenses, the aircraft was placed in storage.
(Continued from above)
... In December 1972, Jack Lysdale, in whose hangar at Fleming Field in South St. Paul, MN the aircraft had been stored, obtained ownership. Lysdale made the decision to restore the Hamilton to 100% airworthiness. To do this it was necessary to completely disassemble the aircraft which nullified previous restoration efforts.
After taxi tests were made, the first flight of the restored aircraft was made on August 12, 1975. That
same month it was displayed at the Blakesburg, IA Antique Fly-in where it took five first place honors including Grand Champion.
Hamilton NC879H is the only surviving airworthy Hamilton in existence.
It received meticulous restoration, and it has been hangared at Fleming Field, South St. Paul, MN since its last flight on 12Jun78. The aircraft logbook shows it has accumulated 46.25 hours in addition to the 5183.5 hours prior to restoration.
Note: the FAA website showed (check date 21Apr2015) NC879H was reg'd 31Jul2014 to Pole Pass Airways LLC.
N56511 Cessna A185F
N756SJ Cessna TR182
N518KM Cessna 208 Caravan
deHavilland DHC-3 N765KA (c/n 26), a 1953-vintage (turbine-converted) Otter.
Reg'd 08Aug2011 to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc.
History of c/n 26 from Karl E. Hayes' monograph on the deHavilland Otter (text abbreviated by Webmaster):
Otter 26 was delivered to the RCAF on 31st December 1953 with serial 3671. It was allocated to 408 Squadron, Rockcliffe and served with the squadron until May 1957, although for much of that period it was based at Fort Churchill, Manitoba.
On 2nd May 1957 it is recorded as departing from Churchill for the last time en route to Toronto.
Its next posting in July 1957 was to 111 Communications & Rescue Flight at Winnipeg.
In October 1962 it was delivered to No.6 Repair Depot at Trenton and put into storage as a reserve aircraft.
Repeatedly it was stored and returned to active service on various stations..
In September 1973, 3671 participated in the Great Burlington Seaplane Race, representing 400 Squadron and also acting as the SAR aircraft for the race.
3671 continued to serve with 400 Squadron at Downsview until the Otter was withdrawn from Canadian military service during 1982.
It was one of seven Otters advertised for sale in September 1982 by the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation. 3671 was advertised as having 6,780 hours on the airframe.
The buyer was King's Construction Ltd of Grimshaw, Alberta to whom the Otter was registered as C-GVMO on 19th November 1982, the purchase price being $52,650.
On 25th November '82 a ferry permit was issued for the delivery flight from Belleville, Ontario to Edmonton.
C-GVMO remained registered to King's Construction Ltd for just over two years, until sold to Dan Michel of Sterling, Alaska on 25th January 1985, to whom the Otter was registered as N26DE. Mr Michel's company is All West Freight, which used the Otter to serve the Kenai area of Alaska, flying freight and fish and servicing a gold mine at Flat, Alaska.
For a time during in 1988 the Otter was leased to Charles H. Strapp and based at Dillingham,AK before returning to All West Freight at Stirling. In common with many other operators, Mr Michel* found the Otter somewhat underpowered for the demanding role of a bush aircraft servicing the Alaskan outback, and set about doing something about the problem.
In October 1991 he purchased Otter N338D (338) which had at one stage been converted by the installation of a 1,200 hp Wright Cyclone R-1820 engine taken from a B-17 bomber. That certainly should have given sufficient power, but unfortunately the conversion had not been certified by the FAA and the original P&W R-1340 engine had been re-installed. That Otter crashed at Stirling early in 1992 and was wrecked.
As a replacement, N26DE was taken out of service in 1992 and work commenced at Stirling in converting the Otter with a 1,200 hp turbine engine, a Lycoming T-53 taken from a Grumman Mohawk. This is the same engine which powers the Huey helicopter. The T-53 was installed in N26DE but Mr Michel* was unable to get the conversion certified by the FAA and N26DE has not flown since 1992.
In August 1997 the registered owner was changed to All West Freight Inc, when the business was incorporated, but the Otter continued to languish in the hangar in Stirling. Not having had much success with its Otter operations since 1992, the company flies Cessna 207 and Short Skyvan aircraft.
Mr Hayes published an update in 2008: Sold in August 2005 to Mike Spisak of Kotzebue, Alaska who also purchased Otter N338D (338) which had crashed and the wreck of which was also in store at Sterling. Both Otters were trucked away from Sterling and N338D subsequently restored to flying status.
Noted during a visit to Kenai, Alaska in July 2007 were N338D without engine, N26DE and C-FQOS (398), both being rebuilt.
[On FAA website I found it reg'd 08Aug2011 to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc. -Webmaster]
*) C-123 N709RR of All West Freight crashed into Mount Healy (Alaska) on 01Aug10.
All three occupants died, including All West Freight owner and pilot William H. 'Wild Bill' Michel (I've seen his name spelled as Mikel too).
deHavilland DHC-3 N707KA (c/n 106), another turbine-converted Otter.
Reg'd 08May2000 to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc.
History of c/n 106 from Karl E. Hayes' monograph on the deHavilland Otter (text abbreviated by Webmaster)
Otter 106 was delivered to the United States Army on 11th May 1956 with serial 55-3262 (tail number 53262). By January 1962 it had been transferred to Fort Eustis,VA to the Army Transportation School, where it was iused for ground instructional technical training).
It continued under this designation until May 1973 when it was put up for disposal as military surplus. It was however to languish at Fort Eustis for another five years before it was sold.
Parts were damaged including holes in the fuselage and many parts (and instruments) missing including flaps, one seat and all glass; airframe and engine hours unknown; data plate and historical records not available.
The purchaser of the Otter was William H. Magie, whose company was Wilderness Wings Airways of Ely, Minnesota to whom the Otter was registered as N90627.
Despite its evidently poor condition, the Otter was rebuilt and entered service with Wilderness Wings Airways alongside its other Otter N432GR (179), serving the bush country of northeast Minnesota.
The Superior National Forest extends north of Ely, up to the Canadian border with Ontario. The company also flew a Beaver (N11015), a Queen Air and Beech 18. However, it ceased operations in 1983. In March 1984 the Otter was registered to Richard T.Riley of Allston, Massachussets.
In May 1987 N90627 was sold to Red Baron Leasing Inc of Anchorage, Alaska a leasing company which owned a number of Otters.
That month, the float equipped Otter was being ferried from Owen Sound, Ontario to Anchorage.
In the course of the long ferry flight, N90627 stopped at Selkirk, Manitoba to refuel and for crew rest.
As the Otter taxied away from the dock on 11May87 to resume its delivery flight, the engine stopped and the pilot attempted a re-start. During the re-start the engine caught fire and the crew abandoned the aircraft, which then drifted to the shoreline of an island. The fire subsequently subsided, after causing extensive damage. The engine had been replaced in Owen Sound, and the aircraft had flown ten hours since then without any problems.
The damage was repaired and the Otter eventually completed its delivery flight to Anchorage, where it was re-registered N666XX.
It flew for Sound Adventures Air Service Inc on lease from Red Baron Leasing for nearly 2 years, based at Lake Hood. In April 1989 it was re-registered N888XX to Red Baron Leasing Inc.
In June 1989 it was sold to Ketchum Air Service, also based at Lake Hood beside the Anchorage International Airport.
It was flown down to Vancouver where it arrived on 12Dec89 and it was converted to a Vazar turbine Otter at the Aero Flite Industries facility in Vancouver during the early months of 1990.
It was complete by 06April1990 and re-registered N888KA on 29Apr90 and entered service with Ketchum Air, looking pristine after its complete overhaul and re-engining. It was used for the for the most part to fly hunters, fishermen and tourists during the summer months. It flew for Ketchum Air without incident until 20Aug99 when a mishap occurred.
The Otter, with one pilot and three passengers on board, was taking off from an un-named lake about 30 miles west of Port Alsworth, Alaska. Due incorrect setting of the flaps it failed to get airborne.
N888KA struck the 4 feet high bank at the end of the lake. The floats separated from the fuselage, which remained upright and slid about 100 feet across rough tundra. Substantial damage was sustained to both wings and horizontal stabilizers and the underside of the fuselage. The four on board were uninjured.
This accident ended the Otter's career with Ketchum Air.
The insurers offered the wreck to Kenmore Air Harbor, who decided to purchase it for rebuild. It was airlifted by helicopter from the crash site to the small airstrip at Nondalton on Lake Clark. It was then shipped by barge 20 miles or so to the airfield at Port Alsworth and flown from there to Anchorage on board a Lynden Air Cargo Hercules. It was then shipped in a container to Kenmore's base at Seattle for rebuild.
N888KA was registered to Kenmore Air Harbor Inc on 20Sep99.
In December 2000 the damaged Otter was noted in the hangar of Kal Air Repair Ltd at Vernon, BC, awaiting repair. Kenmore Air had contracted out the rebuild of the Otter to Kal Air, who would also fit large scenic windows to the aircraft.
Following completion of the rebuild, the Otter was flown to Paine Field, Seattle for painting into Kenmore Air Harbor's yellow and white colour scheme. It was re-registered to the company on 26th March 2002 as N707KA and named 'Capt.Greg Munro'.
It entered service with Kenmore Air as part of its large fleet of turbine Otters.
It was exhibited at the Otter's 50th birthday celebrations held in Victoria, BC in Oct.2002.
From Otters back to Beavers! N72355 is DHC-2 c/n 1164
Delivered 12Nov1957 as L-20 56-4428 to US Army
Stored at Davis Monthan 13Nov1975 to 29Jun1976
Reg'd as N81424 to Department of Emergency (Kingman,AZ)
Became C-GRJE for Taylor Airways,MB
Back to US Registry as N1453Z (2nd use of this tailnbr) reported as such, but seems shrouded in uncertainty.
Then as N62355 it was (probably) reg' d in April 1988.
Reg'd 13Mar2000 as N72355 for Kenmore Air Harbor Inc.
By 01Sep2001 had accumulated ttl airframe hours: 20,100.0