by Karl E. Hayes

For those enthusiasts enamoured of the big piston airliners, unless they happen to live in Alaska or in one of the few other locations where these aircraft still operate, the era of the 'round engines' is sadly over. Although the band may have stopped playing, to coin a phrase, the melodies linger on and most propliner devotees can fondly recall the superb sights and sounds of Douglas DC-6s and other big pistons experienced all those years ago.
With the internet and numerous other sources now available, it is remarkable what a bit of research can discover on some of these aircraft, information which was not available at the time. To illustrate the point, this article looks at one DC-6 in particular, also referring to a number of others.


In 1950, as part of its contribution to the Military Air Transport Service, the United States Navy placed an order for sixty five Douglas R6D-1s, of which four were R6D-1Zs with executive interiors.
The R6D was a version of the civilian DC-6, similar to the C-118As acquired by the USAF.
The thirteenth aircraft of the Naval order for sixty five machines was R6D-1 BuAer number 131585 (constructorís number 43688), which was delivered on 29th January 1953 and assigned to VR-21 Squadron, based at Barberís Point Naval Air Station, Hawaii.
It took the unitís RZ tail code. Unofficially known as 'Pineapple Airlines', VR-21 provided trans-Pacific air service for the Navy, connecting Hawaii with the Continental United States and also linking Hawaii with the Japanese bases and other Pacific destinations used by the Navy. Remote Pacific outposts such as Midway, Wake Island and Guam were its transit points.

For twenty years, 131585 faithfully served the squadron without incident, being re-designated a C-118B in 1962.
It was withdrawn from Naval service in June 1973, as VR-21 re-equipped with C-130F Hercules.
It was then transferred to the Marine Corps, and assigned to the Headquarters Flight of Fleet Marine Force Atlantic, based at Norfolk NAS, Virginia. Having forsaken the Pacific for the Atlantic, it now began to appear on flights to Europe.
In September 1976 it was transferred to Headquarters Flight Section of the Marine Corps, based at Andrews AFB, Maryland, near to Washington DC. It was presented in a natural metal scheme, with a thin red cheatline under the cabin windows and United States Marines roof titles. The tail was all-white, with the serial number. A small red box under the cockpit windows with two white stars identified its task as the transport of high-ranking personnel.
It operated throughout the Continental United States and to Europe.

By the mid 1970s, the era of civilian DC-6s plying across the Atlantic was well over, but Navy and Marine Corps C-118s continued with their trans-ocean travels, and 131585 was an occasional visitor to Northolt.
It made its first visit to this London airbase on 19 September 1973 and its last on 12 December 1977. Its military career came to an end in January 1978, when it was flown into storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona being allocated the inventory code 8C019.
131585 had flown 27,442 hours in the course of its military career.
This was the time when the C-118ís service with the Navy and Marine Corps was coming to an end. 131585 joined thirteen Navy C-118s already in storage in the desert 'boneyard', including several examples from VR-21, its original unit.
Although their military careers may have been over, these impeccably maintained aircraft would find a ready market with civilian DC-6 operators and it was not long before 131585 was on the move again.
The background to the next phase of its career was however somewhat unusual...


Born and raised in the Williamette Valley, in gently rolling countryside 25 miles south of Portland,OR, Jack Lenhardt had developed a passion for aviation. On the family dairy farm at 'Whiskey Hill' in this rather beautiful rural community, he had established an airfield with a 3,200 foot runway from which he operated a crop dusting business.
The airfield was also available for private owners to base their aircraft and developed into the Lenhardt Airpark.
Mr Lenhardt also restored antique aircraft here and over the years some 85 (!) aircraft were registered in his name, including many warbirds. The largest aircraft he could accommodate at the airfield was the DC-3, with N98H (c/n 20061) registered to him in December 1974. After he sold N98H it came to no good - "forced down by the Colombian Air Force while drug smuggling 2 October 1977 near Villavicencio, Colombia", but that was not his doing.

He then turned his attention to restoring a genuine warbird, a Grumman Wildcat; in fact a General Motors built FM-2 version, and after many hours of meticulous rebuilding, Wildcat 86690 was restored to flying status. Put into pristine condition it was registered N20HA. Having evidently done his homework, on 10th January 1978 Jack Lenhardt wrote to the US Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida with a business proposition for their consideration. He proposed that he would transfer the Wildcat to the Museum in exchange for:
(a) Goodyear FG-1D Corsair 92013, then at the Museum and in need of restoration
(b) NU-1B Otter 144672, then on display at the Museum
(c) Douglas C-117D 17165, then in storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
Lengthy negotiations took place with the Museum and eventually a deal was struck, but instead of the aircraft he had originally requested, Mr Lenhardt was to receive:
(a) Douglas C-118 131585, then in storage at Davis-Monthan (instead of the Corsair)
(b) Otter 142425, which by that stage had arrived into storage at Davis-Monthan (instead of 144672 which would remain on display at the Museum)
(c) Douglas C-117D, then in storage at Davis-Monthan
The agreement was signed on 2 April 1979 and by Bill of Sale of that date, the Wildcat became the property of the Museum, and the Navy transferred ownership of the three exchange aircraft to Lenhardt Airpark Inc, as follows:

(a) Douglas C-118 131585, which was registered to Lenhardt Airpark Inc in June 1979 as N1037F and was sold on.
(b) Otter 142425, which was registered to Lenhardt Airpark Inc on 13 April 1979 as N1037G.
(c) Douglas C-117D 17165, which was registered to Lenhardt Airpark Inc in June 1979 as N1037A and was sold on.
Jack Lenhardt himself collected Otter 142425, then registered N1037G, at Davis-Monthan and flew it to his Lenhardt Airpark; here, over the months that followed, he converted it to civilian configuration and sold it.
The C-117 and C-118 were too large for the Airpark and he had acquired them for sale on. The C-117 was sold to Aero Union Corp of Chico, California and by Bill of Sale 25th September 1979 the C-118 N1037F was sold to the Patterson Aircraft Corporation of Miami. Neither aircraft went anywhere near the Lenhardt Airpark, but were collected by their new owners directly from Tucson.


The Patterson family were the owners of N.M.Patterson & Son Ltd, a large grain-handling and shipping company headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The company owned and operated grain elevators in Canada and grain-carrying cargo ships which plied the Great Lakes.
Charles Pattersonís father, a sister and two brothers, were all active in this family business; they were prominent and successful members of the business community in Winnipeg.

In 1973 the family decided to diversify their business and acquired ownership of Seagreen Air Transport, based in Antigua in the West Indies.
Charles Patterson, then aged 23, was appointed vice-president of the company and relocated to Antigua to run the familyís newly-acquired air transport arm.
Seagreen Air Transport had been established in 1964 by Seymour Green and by the end of the decade was flying a DC-3, a Beech 18 and two Aztecs on passenger and cargo charters around the Caribbean; they were based out of the St.Johnís Coolidge Airport, Antigua.
In February 1970, Seagreen achieved a 'Foreign Carrier Permit', which allowed it to fly cargo charters serving Miami, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands as well as other points in the region.

To service this business, by March 1973 when the Pattersons acquired the company, the fleet had expanded to two DC-4s, two DC-3s, two Beech 99s and one Aztec; with the acquisition of a Canadair CL-44 under consideration, although this did not proceed.
The DC-4s were sold in 1974.
For two years Charles Patterson managed the business, before returning to Canada here he studied for a masterís degree in business administration, leaving Seagreen Air transport in the hands of other family members.
Having obtained his degree, and evidently much taken with air transport, Charles Patterson relocated in 1978 to Miami,FL where he established the Patterson Aircraft Corporation. He was the President and major stockholder in the company, which was engaged in the business of operating, maintaining and leasing cargo aircraft for use in transporting freight in the Caribbean region.
It acquired a number of aircraft and employed 30 persons. It contracted with 15 pilots and flight engineers to operate its aircraft, and mostly flew for Seagreen Air Transport.
Its aircraft did not carry any titles, only the companyís trademark: a green cheatline.

DC-6 N1037F at MiamiPatterson Aircraft Corporationís first aircraft was former C-118A N51CP, put into operation in February 1979, and flown for Seagreen. Although it might be thought that the ĎCPí of the registration referred to Charles Patterson, in fact it referred to a Clifford Pettit of Ligon Air.
Mr Pettit had acquired three former military C-118s from the Tucson boneyard, which he had registered N51CP, N52CP and N53CP.
N51CP was sold to Patterson Aircraft Corporation. The companyís second aircraft, which as set out above was acquired in September 1979, was the ex-Navy C-118 N1037F; like N51CP it had acquired a green cheatline and also flew cargo for Seagreen Air Transport.
The Certificate of Airworthiness for N1037F was issued to Patterson Aircraft on 13 August 1980, after which N1037F commenced operations out of the Miami International Airport.

While the two Seagreen Air transport DC-3s (VP-LAO and VP-LIX) took care of local business out of the Antigua base, the two DC-6s looked after the heavy freight work out of Miami to points in the Caribbean; they were supplemented by other DC-6s leased in from Vortex Inc, another Miami-based carrier.
By May 1981, Patterson Aircraft had acquired DC-7CF N9000T, a long-time Miami-based machine (one time with BOAC as G-AOII) which was also painted with the traditional green cheatline.
And in December of that year the company entered the jet age with Convair 880 N8805E, a one-time Delta Airlines passenger airliner which had been converted to a freighter. Painted white with the now familiar green trim, it was to be seen flying in and out of Miami trailing clouds of black smoke, a hallmark of the 880.
Fleet changes during 1982 involved the sale of DC-6 N51CP, in July, and the transfer of DC-3 VP-LAO from Seagreen to Patterson Aircraft as N27458; although it was stolen from Miami in November í82.
Going into 1983 therefore the fleet consisted of one DC-6A, one DC-7CF and the new Convair 880 jet, all flown by Patterson Aircraft for Seagreen. It was a busy time for the company, but there was trouble ahead...


On 24th March 1983, Patterson Aircraft entered into an agreement with a Frank Gonzales of Miami, for the sale of their DC-6A N1037F for the sum of $150,000, payable by instalments.
A Bill of Sale in favour of Mr Gonzales was signed the same day by Charles Patterson on behalf of the company and presented to the FAA, together with a letter saying that Patterson Aircraft Corp no longer had any interest in the aircraft.
These documents would later be questioned and would sow the seeds of the companyís ruin.

Olin Austin owned a large farm at Corona, in a very remote part of New Mexico south of Roswell. He didnít live there, and had the farm for sale. He was approached by a prospective buyer, they agreed on a sale; the buyer paid a deposit with the transaction to be completed some weeks later.
In the meantime, there were strange goings-on at the farm. Neighbours reported low-flying aircraft in the vicinity of the farm, in the dead of night. Mr Austin took a look and found airplane tracks in a field. He asked the buyer what was going on, but the buyer knew nothing, or at least that is what he said!

DC-6 N1037 Seagreen Air Transport, at Miami; by Malcolm Nason (c)On the night of 27th March 1983, three days after the Bill of Sale, N1037F was making its way towards Olin Austinís farm. Some hours earlier it had taken off from an airstrip in Colombia.
It had not filed any flight plan, was not showing any lights and was flying low to avoid detection. Its cargo was 20,000 pounds of marijuana. This fine machine, once the pride of the United States Navy and later the transporter of the US militaryís elite with the Marine Corps, had been reduced in status to a drug runner!
The gang who now operated Ď37F had successfully flown other aircraft into the farm over the previous weeks, but their luck was about to run out. The US Customís Service was on the case, and was tracking Ď37F as it flew north.

Surveillance continued until the aircraft landed on the Austin ranch, just after midnight. The Customs officers observed from the air that a landing strip was lit with flares two minutes before the DC-6A touched down. Officers also observed six vehicles approaching the aircraft as it landed and which left the area at speed 45 minutes later.
In the meantime, New Mexico state police had been notified and they converged on the farm to meet the vehicles as they left. The DC-6 itself managed to take off, but its 'ground crew' were not so lucky. The police officers first spotted a Ford Bronco heading towards them without lights. It turned and fled, chased by the police. The two occupants abandoned their vehicle and were observed jumping a fence and running away. They were however caught and arrested.

The police also came upon a lorry parked on the side of the road, with its doors open and engine running. A fuel tank and pump were discovered in the truck, pumping aviation gasoline onto the ground.
Three miles down the road another abandoned van was found, which contained the marijuana. Other abandoned vehicles were also located.
In all the police arrested ten persons, all Latino men, that night as they tried to make good their escape. Most were in a dishevelled state and smelling of aviation fuel, after the attempted importation of the drugs had gone awry.
Having thus been caught 'red handed', these ten persons were swiftly put on trial and in June 1983 were convicted of drug smuggling, each receiving a 15 year jail sentence.

As part of their trial, the US Government had asked Charles Patterson what he knew about the transaction with the DC-6 and he told them and at their request gave evidence at the trial. However, no sooner had the government secured the conviction of the 'ground crew', it then turned on its star witness and had him arrested!
It was alleged that Charles Patterson had conspired to import and distribute the drugs by supplying N1037F for the operation. Other persons were also charged, but fled the country. Mr Patterson stood his ground. He was put on trial in Albuquerque, New Mexico in December 1984 and was convicted of conspiracy to distribute marijuana.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

In the meantime, as well as these criminal proceedings, in December 1983 the US Customs Service had started civil court proceedings to confiscate the DC-6A, because of its illegal activities. Under American law, the form such proceedings take is that the aircraft itself is named as the thing sued. Thus the title of the proceedings in this case was 'United States of America v Douglas DC-6A N1037F', and the proceedings were to be served on anyone with an interest in the aircraft.
In this case, although there had been a Bill of Sale in favour of Frank Gonzales of Miami, if this gentleman ever existed; but he had long 'done a runner'.
The proceedings were served on Patterson Aircraft Corp and on a bank which had lent money to the company on the security of the aircraft, and which stood to lose its security. The case was heard on 4th April 1985 by the US District Court, District of New Mexico and a decree of forfeiture was made, directing the US Marshal to seize the aircraft and deliver it to the US Customs Service.

While these court proceedings were rumbling on, Patterson Aircraft Corp continued to operate and fly its aircraft for Seagreen Air Transport and other Miami-based carriers. In September 1983 it added another DC-7CF to its fleet, N16465, also a former BOAC aircraft, followed by DC-7B N101LM and DC-7C N90801 in March í84.
During 1985 therefore Patterson Aircraft had no less than four DC-7s on strength as well as the Convair 880 and at that stage was also flying for Aeronica as well as Seagreen.
However, the strains of these various court cases and other investigations by officialdom into its affairs, proved too much for the company, which ceased trading in late 1985, provoking the collapse of Seagreen Air Transport as well.
The Convair 880 and DC-7B N101LM were sold, the other DC-7s left derelict at Miami.


DC-6 N1037 Seagreen Air Transport, at Miami; by Malcolm Nason (c)Having been seized by the US Marshal in April 1985, the Customs Service arranged for the DC-6A to be flown to Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona where it re-entered the storage compounds; it had here been before, but on this occasion it was not allocated an inventory number.
It was however sealed against the elements like the military aircraft in storage.
It was evidently handed over to the USAF Museum for want of something else to do with it, as having sat at Davis-Monthan for two and a half years, it was sold to Central Air Service of Tucson; the Bill of Sale being dated 24th November 1987, signed on behalf of the USAF Museum as seller.
Central Air Service was a company which specialised in DC-4 fire bombing operations and acquired the DC-6A for sale on.
N1037F had suffered some damage and corrosion during its stay in the desert but in March 1988, Central Air Service carried out the necessary repairs and prepared the aircraft for flight.
By Bill of Sale 26th April 1988, N1037F was sold to American Air Freight Company and in July í88 was flown from Tucson to its new base at Laredo, Texas, to a disused USAF base near the Mexican border.

DC-6 N1037F at Tucson with Central Air Services (April 1988)American Air Freight Company had been formed by Wolf Hofman and over the years operated what can only be described as an 'awesome' propliner fleet, which encompassed DC-3s, DC-4s, Convair 440s, a C-46 and a C-119.
These were used on freight charters into Mexico and around the southern United States.
N1037F was to be its first DC-6, acquired in July 1988, and this was followed by another former US Navy C-118, acquired in January 1990, initially registered N21780, which was subsequently changed to N1597F.


At this stage in the narrative, to explain the next manís involvement with N1037F, it is necessary to go back a few years and to move from the dusty Texan border town of Laredo to the frozen wastes of Antarctica...
Since the late 1950s, governments had carried out research work on the Antarctic Continent, but private individuals had no ready means of accessing this pristine wilderness.
DC-6 N1037F at Tucson with Central Air Services (April 1988)A Canadian company called Adventure Network International (ANI) had been working for years to try and arrange this, and its efforts first achieved success during the Austral summer (which corresponds with winter in the northern hemisphere) of 1987/88. ANIís aviation section was named Antarctic Airways and over the years that followed a number of different aircraft were leased in to provide transportation to Antarctica and around the Antarctic Continent.

For the first operation, the Canadian Ken Borek company was contracted and they sourced DC-4 N4218S, which acquired Antarctic Airways titles. The DC-4 was used to fly ANIís customers from Punta Arenas in southern Chile to a base at Patriot Hills, Antarctica, some 600 miles from the South Pole.
Ken Borek Air also supplied Twin Otter aircraft, used to ferry people around the Continent. One of the Twin Otter pilots was a Canadian bush aviator named Bruce Allcorn, who would continue to fly these missions in subsequent years.
For the 1988/89 season the same DC-4 was used, re-registered C-FIQM.
For the 1989/90 and 1990/91 seasons, DC-6B N41840 was used, acquired by Antarctic Airways from Zantop of Detroit.

DC-6 C-GBYB, from palinstravels.co.uk Pole-to-PoleAt this stage Bruce Allcorn managed to persuade ANI/Antarctic Airways that they should entrust the air transportation to him, which they agreed to do, and for this purpose he formed a company called Allcair Air Transport.
For the 1991/92 season, Bruce Allcorn chartered DC-6B C-GBYB from Conifair, which remained in Conifair colour scheme but acquired Allcair titles. Ken Borek had no involvement that year, as air transportation around the Antarctic Continent was provided by a Twin Otter leased from Aklak Air of Inuvik and a Single Otter provided by Ketchikan Air of Alaska.
That yearís operation gained worldwide exposure from the BBCís programme 'Pole to Pole', Michael Palinís epic trek from the North Pole to the South. Having missed out sailing from South Africa to Antarctica, the intrepid Mr Palin journeyed to Punta Arenas, and joined the DC-6B instead, introducing the pilot as "Bruce Allcorn, a white-haired, white-bearded, broad shouldered Canadian with 25 years flying experience in the Arctic and three years in the Antarctic".
The programme had some excellent footage of C-GBYB, flown by Bruce Allcorn, as it transported Michael Palin and his team to Patriot Hills.

For the following yearís operation of 1992/93, Bruce Allcorn teamed up with Wolf Hofman of Laredo and Allcair took a lease of American Air Freightís DC-6A N1597F.
N1597F was still in basic US Navy scheme, but acquired Allcair titles and was named 'Ice Princess II'.
A number of American Air Freight personnel joined Allcair, to crew the aircraft for its Antarctic operation.
Work was carried out on N1597F during October 1992, including the installation of advanced weather radar and GPS and two 500 gallon fuel tanks inside the cabin. It flew south to Punta Arenas and during the season operated twelve flights to Patriot Hills, carrying ANIís passengers.
N1597F returned to Laredo at the end of February 1993.

At that stage American Air Freight Companyís business was in decline, so the DC-6A remained on lease to Allcair, captained by Bruce Allcorn and the rest of the crew from American Air Freight.
There wasnít much work for it, but the few flights it did operate provided Allcair with some money to stay solvent until the next Antarctic season.
The southern United States is a very different environment from the South Pole, but even here bush pilot Bruce managed to find some exciting flying in his DC-6. As one of his co-pilots described a cargo charter to Crossville, Tennessee Ė "It was a very short runway, tucked away high in the mountains. It was very foggy with the haze of the Appalachian Mountains. A very precise ADF approach was necessary with no room for error, right down Bruceís alley!"

The next Antarctic season was 1993/94.
Ever since the start of these operations there had been competition between operators for this lucrative contract, and although Bruce Allcorn expected to be flying again that season, he lost out. ANI decided to upgrade the service, and awarded the contract to Safair Freighters of Johannesburg, using Lockheed L382G Hercules ZS-JIZ.
Somewhat put out at having lost the contract, to say the least, Bruce looked for some alternative. He eventually negotiated a charter to fly an expedition to the Antarctic. Colonel Norman Vaughan, then aged 88, had been a member of the first Byrd Antarctic Expedition in 1929. He was mounting an expedition to the Queen Maud Range and hired captain Allcorn and DC-6A N1597F for this purpose.

They set off from Punta Arenas on 26th November 1993. On board were five aircrew, Col.Vaughan and two other members of the Expedition and twenty dogs.
Most unfortunately, N1597F crashed into the ground nine miles from its destination at Patriot Hills, a few miles off course and flying in very reduced visibility. There were no serious injuries, but it marked the end of the Expedition, for that year at least.
ANI launched the Hercules on a rescue mission and it returned to Punta Arenas 13 hours later, with the occupants of the DC-6.
This crash on its first flight of the season was a devastating blow for Allcair. The DC-6 was a write off and to this day remains at the crash site, now covered by ice and snow.
Despite this setback, being a determined sort, Bruce Allcorn determined to persevere.

By now American Air Freight Company had closed down, but it still had DC-6A N1037F sitting at Laredo (see Paul J. Hooper's photo below).
Evidently anticipating large revenues into the future, which would have to be shielded from tax, Bruce formed an Isle of Man company called Pole to Pole Aviation Inc.

DC-6 N1037F by Paul J. Hooper
Paul J. Hooper wrote:"My own shot of N1037F; it was taken at Laredo,TX on 04Sep1988. I was told during my time at Laredo that the aircraft had just completed a flight from the East Coast - non-stop!"

By Bill of Sale, dated 22nd April 1994, American Air Freight sold N1037F to this company, which then leased the aircraft to Allcair Air Transport, with an option to purchase. N1037F was registered to Allcair on 13th May 1994.
However, the downturn in business which had caused the collapse of American Air Freight, also impacted upon Allcairís commercial aspirations; and the crash of N1597F didnít help. Allcair never really recovered and few if any flights were operated by N1037F.
It remained registered to Allcair until the FAA realised that Bruce Allcorn was a Canadian citizen and that Allcair was therefore not entitled to have an aircraft on the American register!
N1037Fís registration to Allcair Air Transport was cancelled by the FAA on 19th June 1996. It languished unused at Laredo.

A few years later, by Bill of Sale dated 30th August 2002, Allcair Air Transport sold N1037F to Universal Airlines Inc and it made its last flight, the short distance north to Victoria, Texas Ė another abandoned USAF installation, formerly Foster AFB.
Sadly, Bruce Allcorn passed away later that year.
Universal Airlines had located in Victoria, due to the availability of a large hangar there, which would enable them to maintain their own fleet of DC-6s and provide contract maintenance to other operators of the type.
Universal operated DC-6s N170UA, N400UA, N500UA and N600UA, flying automotive and other freight charters out of Victoria, and deploying to Kenai, Alaska to fly fish during the summer months.
Alas, N1037F never did become active but remained parked at Victoria, gradually shedding parts to keep the rest of the fleet airworthy.
It was noted at Victoria in August 2003, all silver, missing the rudder and number three engine. It was embellished with a colourful mural 'Me Retire? Never!' from its days with American Air Freight; but sadly it was retired and would never fly again.
The end came early in 2009.
One weekend, a dismantling crew arrived and took off the front 38 feet of the aircraft, including the cockpit section. This was trucked to Yukon, Oklahoma, and the rest of N1037F was broken up at Victoria.

The forward section of Ď37F had been bought by a Mark Howard, who was establishing an aviation museum at the Clarence E. Page Airport, Yukon, Oklahoma. This was the former Cimarron AAF and during the second World War had served as a pilot training base with Fairchild PT-19s.
As well as a few PT-19s and a PT-26, some aircraft engines and aviation memorabilia, Mr Howard had amassed an interesting collection of 'propliner' bits and pieces. These included a DC-6 QEC (Quick Engine Change) stand, for which he acquired a P&W R-2800 engine from a USAF Convair C-131, which had been broken up at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma.
Mark Howard also obtained an R-3350 engine from a B-29 bomber, a KC-97L cockpit and a Lockheed Lodestar front fuselage.
Amongst this eclectic array of exhibits, the forward fuselage and cockpit of N1037F now sits as its final resting place.

Karl E. Hayes
[© 2015]

Thanks to Malcolm Nason for making images available of DC-6 N1037F; see www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/16772303924/

DC-6 N1037F of Central Air Servives at Tucson,AZ (1988)Also thanks to Michael Prophet (Vintage Aviation Pictures) for making these 3 1988 images available.

Michael wrote: "My images of N1037F date from a visit to Tucson International Airport in 1988, and to Central Air Services (Fire Retardant Aerial Specialist) in particular.
The exact date is 08Apr1988; there was quite a presence of Douglas DC-4s on the ramp: 8!. Also someC-119s, C-97, C-133B, C-82 Packet, P-2 nd two DC-6s of which this N1037F (43688) is one".

N1037F ended up in Okahoma City!
N1037F ended up in Mark Howard's museum: located at Clarence E. Page Municipal Airport (Oklahoma) , just south
of I-40 on Cimarron Road. This site was Cimarron Field during World War II. www.cimarronfield.com
And more pics of this museum on Photos by Friends & Guests (45).


Created 16-Sep-2015
Updated 25-Feb-2016